The Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago is the largest and most interactive science museum in the Western Hemisphere. Chicago’s Museum of Science and Industry (MSI) exposes guests of all ages to awe-inspiring exhibitions that spark curiosity and bring science to life. MSI’s mission – to inspire the inventive genius in everyone – is realized through its world-class exhibitions and engaging guest experiences. The Museum of Science and Industry provides programs and experiences that deepen the engagement of students and teachers in science and science-related disciplines, with a vision to inspire and motivate our children to achieve their full potential in the fields of science, technology, engineering and medicine.
We offer a creative, collaborative, and innovative environment for our employees. Our employees get great perks such as: benefits starting day one of your employment, free admission to MSI for family and friends, free admission to other museums, free parking in MSI’s garage and more! If you are equally passionate about our vision and want to be surrounded by a team of dynamic, smart and innovative people, the Museum of Science and Industry is the right place for you!
The Administrative Assistant reports to the Director of Corporate Giving and Sponsorship.
- This individual provides departmental support with responsibilities that include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Manage departmental calendars and schedule appointments for team as needed.
- Produce and maintain financial spreadsheets, project reports and presentation documents.
- Read and route incoming mail.
- Answer and screen incoming calls, and respond or direct to others as appropriate.
- Receive and accurately process philanthropic/sponsorship gifts and prepare acknowledgement letters.
- Draft and/or finalize correspondence, reports and other complex documents.
- Support the Corporate Membership Program’s benefit fulfillment and solicitation activities.
- Assist with prospect research; compile and prepare reports.
- Organize and maintain department file systems, including electronic records in the Raiser’s Edge database.
- Maintain departmental budgets.
- Manage purchase order process; prepare and process invoices and expense reports.
- Maintain department operations by receiving and distributing communications.
- Maintain supplies and equipment; pickup and deliver items.
- Arrange travel plans and itineraries; prepare meeting briefs as requested.
- Act as a liaison with other departments and outside vendors as needed.
- Assist with special events.
- Perform other administrative duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university; five years of related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in a non-profit setting preferred.
- Knowledge of Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge fundraising software preferred.
- Familiarity with grant and proposal preparation and writing, including online applications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including superior composition, typing and proofreading skills.
- Excellent planning and organizational talent.
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as independently.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Ability to interact in a courteous and productive manner with all levels of staff and volunteers.
- Ability to work with confidential information in a professional and ethical manner.
The Museum of Science and Industry is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, which includes providing equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.