About us: The Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago is the largest and most interactive science museum in the Western Hemisphere. Chicago’s Museum of Science and Industry (MSI) exposes guests of all ages to awe-inspiring exhibitions that spark curiosity and bring science to life. MSI’s mission – to inspire the inventive genius in everyone – is realized through its world-class exhibitions and engaging guest experiences.
We offer a creative, collaborative, and innovative environment for our employees. Our employees get great perks such as: benefits starting day one of your employment, a comprehensive 401K match, free admission to MSI for family and friends, free admission to other museums, free parking in MSI’s garage and more!
The Job: The Museum of Science and Industry is seeking a highly skilled executive assistant to the CEO of the Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago. This employee will provide leadership in the running of the Office of the President including management of operational details of the Office. This employee will serve as Secretary of the Corporation by managing activities related to the Board of Trustees and Committees appointed by the Board.The ideal candidate will possess strong interpersonal, communication, and relationship building skills.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Office Management:
- Manage the CEO/President calendar
- Anticipate needs to manage daily activities of President’s office
- Coordinate and supervise all Board of Trustee and Committee functions. Schedule and set-up meetings, prepare agenda materials, minutes and follow-up on all pending issues.
- Organize, prepare and compile data and materials needed by the President for internal and external meetings and conferences.
- Manage special events for President’s Office and provide input for Museum functions.
- Board of Trustees and Committees appointed by the board:
- Respond timely to routine inquiries from Committee members.
- Prepare correspondence and special reports for the President and Board Committees.
- Assist the President with the development and preparation of presentations to the Board.
- Support special needs of Trustees and other VIPs.
- Update and distribute sections of Trustee Handbook to Board and staff.
- Prepare and administer President's office budget.
- Provide assistance and support to the President in developing and executing the Museum strategic plans to achieve goals of the Museum.
- Compose, edit and delegate incoming and outgoing correspondence.
- Provide information and assistance to members of the Executive Team utilizing knowledge of MSI goals, policies and procedures.
- Coordinate local, national and international travel logistics.
- Bachelor's Degree from a four-year college or university and/or seven (7) to ten (10) years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience working for a CEO of a corporation or cultural institution.
- Demonstrated professional maturity and the ability to maintain a high level of confidential information.
- Aptitude to engage with people and demonstrate patience.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from the Board, management, employees, guests, and the general public.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of instructions and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Concur, and Raiser’s Edge
- Attention to detail and excellent communication skills, both written and oral, are required
- Demonstrated organizational skills, planning and multi-tasking is required
- Ability to work with diverse teams required
- Resourceful in resolving problems or issues independently
- Tenacious in staying on top of work delegated to others
- Understanding of museums and fundraising is critical
The Museum of Science and Industry is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, which includes providing equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.