About Us: The Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago is the largest and most interactive science museum in the Western Hemisphere. Chicago’s Museum of Science and Industry (MSI) exposes guests of all ages to awe-inspiring exhibitions that spark curiosity and bring science to life. MSI’s mission – to inspire the inventive genius in everyone – is realized through its world-class exhibitions and engaging guest experiences. The Museum of Science and Industry provides programs and experiences that deepen the engagement of students and teachers in science and science-related disciplines, with a vision to inspire and motivate our children to achieve their full potential in the fields of science, technology, engineering and medicine.
We offer a creative, collaborative, and innovative environment for our employees. Our employees get great perks such as: benefits starting day one of your employment, a comprehensive 401K match, free admission to MSI for family and friends, free admission to other museums, free parking in MSI’s garage and more!
The Development Partner, Science and Training is responsible for developing, delivering, and refining science and leadership trainings, seminars, events, and live science experiences that support the Museum’s mission and align with the goals of the Welcome to Science Initiative. This role will include front-end program research and development, coordination of program logistics, and direct interaction with Museum audiences.
- Collaborate with multiple departments to create and deliver innovative training programs that build capacity of future science leaders at MSI and other institutions to become effective science communicators.
- Coordinate ongoing and episodic programming including science and leadership trainings, seminars, events, and live science experiences
- Develop content-focused programs with the Master Builder, Science and Leaders to help scientists and leaders engage the public with science
- Maintain and cultivate relationships with external partners including science centers, universities and companies to develop and deliver programs and trainings at the Museum and partner institutions
- Effectively communicate program content and logistics to internal and external stakeholders, including program partners, Division leaders, and other Museum departments. Act as liaison with MSI departments and external partners
- Develop and consistently manage program timelines, including planning, logistics, and day-of operations
- Collaborate with Marketing Department to raise awareness of programs and initiatives
- Train staff, volunteers, and interns on program content and guest engagement strategies
- Partner with other Guest Experiences employees to successfully plan and implement department and museum-wide initiatives.
- Continually monitor content material and strategies for quality assurance via formal and informal evaluation, make recommendations and implement approved modifications
- Foster an inclusive, collaborative, organizational culture to create a work climate that inspires everyone to achieve the Museum’s mission and vision
- Be available to occasionally work evenings and/or weekends
- Bachelor’s degree required; concentration in science/engineering, education, science communication a plus
- 3-5 years’ work experience with at least 2-3 years’ experience in program development, science, communication, or education required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including public speaking
- Must be creative and dynamic; exhibit enthusiasm, initiative, flexibility, and openness to new ideas
- Passion for science, science communication and outreach
- Strong understanding of informal learning strategies, training and development
- Theatre or improvisation training or experience a plus
- Must possess strong project management skills, be detail oriented, work on multiple projects, and meet deadlines
- Strong reasoning ability and capable of solving practical problems with limited direction
- Excels in a team environment and demonstrates strong collaborative skills
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
The Museum of Science and Industry is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, which includes providing equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.