The Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago is the largest and most interactive science museum in the Western Hemisphere. Chicago’s Museum of Science and Industry (MSI) exposes guests of all ages to awe-inspiring exhibitions that spark curiosity and bring science to life. MSI’s mission – to inspire the inventive genius in everyone – is realized through its world-class exhibitions and engaging guest experiences. The Museum of Science and Industry provides programs and experiences that deepen the engagement of students and teachers in science and science-related disciplines, with a vision to inspire and motivate our children to achieve their full potential in the fields of science, technology, engineering and medicine.
We offer a creative, collaborative, and innovative environment for our employees. Our employees get great perks such as: benefits starting day one of your employment, a comprehensive 401K match, free admission to MSI for family and friends, free admission to other museums, free parking in MSI’s garage and more!
The Administrative Assistant of provides administrative support to the Director and to members of the Major Gifts team.
- Manages director's calendar and schedules appointments.
- Produce and maintain financial spreadsheets, project reports and presentation documents. Such as the tracking/reporting of revenue for the Major Gifts
- Schedules and coordinates meetings, agendas, and events.
- Prepares outgoing mail and correspondence, including e-mail and faxes.
- Answers and screens incoming calls as needed
- Prepares and types correspondence such as donor acknowledgements:
- Major Gift Annual Fund and Major Gift Campaign Donors – working with Data Processing to identify the gift intent and who should be acknowledging
- Flagging certain gifts for acknowledgement by PSM or special follow up
- Copies acknowledgements and other documentation for RE Paper Save and internal department tracking
- Organizes and maintains file system.
- Conducts research, and compiles and types reports. Such as assisting with the donor lists for the annual report or donor plaques
- Assists with preparing department budgets.
- Creates and maintains database and spreadsheet files.
- Manages purchase order process and prepares and processes invoices and expense reports.
- Arranges travel plans and itineraries, and compiles documents for travel-related meetings.
- Orders and maintains supplies, and arranges for equipment maintenance.
- Acts as a liaison with other departments and outside vendors.
- Handles other administrative duties as assigned. Such as:
- Major Gift events and other cultivation, stewardship and Curiosity Society activities
- Major gift initiatives and or events the department is assigned or leading
- Preparing Columbian Society Cards and updating records to reflect acknowledgements
- Serving as a contact for donors as appropriate
- Assisting with visit planning and ticket reservations
- Following up with Primary Staff Managers about donor contact/visits
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) or equivalent from four-year college or university and/or 3-5 year of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Database software; Internet software; fluent in Microsoft Office.
The Museum of Science and Industry is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, which includes providing equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.